$1m prize for London educator named 'world's best teacher A woman from north London has been announced as the first British winner of a prize worth $1m (£720,000) for the world’s best teacher. Andria Zafirakou, an arts and textiles teacher from Alperton community school in Brent, north-west London, was presented with the fourth annual Varkey Foundation Global Teacher prize in Dubai on Sunday. She collected the honour at a ceremony attended by the former US vice president Al Gore, Tony Blair, and Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton. In a congratulatory message played during the ceremony, prime minister Theresa May said the award was a “fitting tribute” for everything Zafirakou had done. Zafirakou, who is the first UK teacher to win the award, told reporters: “I was shocked. I was completely overwhelmed. I didn’t realise it was me.” She called for more support for the “power of the arts”, saying schools can make a positive difference in children’s lives through crea...
Comments
Post a Comment